SCDMV Operational Update
As of June 1, 2021, the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (SCDMV) will transition to pre-COVID operations, with the following changes taking place at all branch offices:
- The SCDMV will no longer provide appointments for most transactions at SCDMV branches due to the need to provide expedited services to South Carolina residents.
- The SCDMV will continue to require appointments all day for Commercial License Skills Testing and afternoon-only appointments for Regular License Skills Testing.
- The SCDMV will return to performing in-car road tests at all branch offices.
- SCDMV branch office lobbies will be open for anyone waiting to conduct in-person transactions at an SCDMV branch office. Customers will be given a ticket with a number that will be called when it is their turn at a counter. Customers will not hear their ticket number called if they wait outside the SCDMV building. Offices will provide paper towels and sanitizing spray for customers to sanitize chairs in lobbies if desired.
In an effort to continue to provide excellent service to all customers, the SCDMV will revert to its pre-COVID schedule for the following transactions on June 1, 2021. These transactions have daily cutoff times or require appointments:
Commercial License Knowledge (Written Test) and Skills Testing
- Customers interested in taking commercial license skills tests must make an appointment at one of nine SCDMV branches able to accommodate this type of test. There was no change to this requirement during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- For one or two commercial license knowledge tests, customers will not be able to take knowledge tests after 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- For three knowledge tests, customers will not be able to take knowledge tests after 3 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Regular and Motorcycle License Knowledge (Written Test) and Skills Testing
- All branches accept walk-in customers for these types of license skills tests from 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. everyday besides Wednesday. On Wednesdays, branch offices accept walk-in customers for these types of license road tests from 9:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- Customers must make appointments to take regular and motorcycle skills tests from 2 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Customers will not be able to take knowledge tests after 4:30 p.m.
International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)/International Registration Plan (IRP)
- No appointment is needed for IFTA/IRP renewals, but transactions must be completed at a Motor Carrier SCDMV branch.
- Customers will not be able to renew IFTA/IRP credentials if they arrive after 4 p.m.
- Each dealer/business customer can process up to three transactions per day at the front counter Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30 a.m. – 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. and on Wednesdays from 9:30 a.m. – 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Each dealer/business customer is only allowed to have one transaction per day processed at the front counter on Mondays and Fridays from 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Dealers may drop off work in packets of 15 at any SCDMV branch on any day. The processing time for these packets are three days for a Dealer Central Branch Office, and five days for all other Branch Offices.